Much have I learned from my teachers, more from my colleagues, but most from my students.
As primary supervisor
- Sameer Bansal, Low-resource speech translation. Co-supervised with Sharon Goldwater.
- Nikolay Bogoychev, Machine translation.
- Sorcha Gilroy, Probabilistic models of graphs.
- Naomi Saphra, Deep learning and social media.
- Clara Vania, Deep learning and morphology.
As secondary supervisor
- Jianpeng Cheng, Neural syntactic and semantic parsing. Primary supervisor: Mirella Lapata.
- Marco Damonte, Abstract meaning representation. Primary supervisor: Shay Cohen.
- Joana Ribeiro, Sequence modeling. Primary supervisor: Shay Cohen.
- Janie Sinclair, Dialogue and educational NLP. Primary supervisor: Dragan Gašević. Co-supervised with Chris Lucas.
- Ida Szubert, Syntax, semantics, and graph algorithms. Teaching assistant extraordinaire. Primary supervisor: Mark Steedman.
- Michael Auli, PhD 2012. Now at Facebook AI Research.
During our collaboration Michael developed the most accurate known parser for combinatory categorial grammar, a linguistically expressive grammar formalism. After graduation Michael began working on neural translation, and is one of the key researchers behind Facebook's convolutional machine translation system. -
- Federico Fancellu, PhD 2018. Primary supervisor: Bonnie Webber.
Federico developed state-of-the-art models for computational detection of negation in English and Chinese. He now a postdoc with my colleague Mirella Lapata and we continue to collaborate with Sorcha Gilroy on semantic parsing.
- Despoina Christou, MSc 2016. Now at Veltio.
- Andreas Grivas, MSc 2017. Now at Mudano.
- Yova Kementchedjhieva, MSc 2017. Now PhD student at University of Copenhagen.
- Junyi Li, MSc 2017.
- Moise Lubwimi, MInf 2018.
- Evangelia Lypiridi, MSc 2016.
- Lena Reisinger, MInf 2017.
- Adithya Renduchintala, PhD student at Johns Hopkins University. Adi amicably switched advisors after I moved to the University of Edinburgh, and is still at Johns Hopkins.
- Jason R. Smith, former PhD student at Johns Hopkins University. Now at Google.
- Ieva Vasiljeva, MSc 2017. Now at Improbable.
- Arthur Verkaik, MInf 2017.
- Justas Zemgulys, MInf 2018. Now at Amazon.
- Ramona Comanescu, BSc 2018. Now at Amazon, now MPhil student in Cambridge.
- Iulia Banghea, BSc 2017.
- Chip Huyen, Visiting BSc student from Stanford University, summer 2016.
- Katarzyna Pruś, Visiting BSc student from University of Dundee, summer 2015. MPhil at University of Cambridge, now back in Edinburgh at the CDT in Data Science.
- Pijus Simonaitis, Visiting MSc student from École Normale Supérieure de Lyon, summer 2016. Now PhD student at Montpellier Laboratory of Computer Science, Robotics, and Microelectronics.
Collaborators past and present
- Antonios Anastasopoulos, University of Notre Dame.
- Abhishek Arun, Bing.
- Phil Blunsom, Deepmind / University of Oxford.
- Chris Callison-Burch, University of Pennsylvania.
- David Chiang, University of Notre Dame.
- Frank Drewes, Umeå University.
- Chris Dyer, Deepmind / Carnegie Mellon University.
- Juri Ganitkevitch, Google.
- Sharon Goldwater, University of Edinburgh.
- Daniel Gildea, University of Rochester.
- Barry Haddow, University of Edinburgh.
- Hua He, University of Maryland.
- Hieu Hoang, Moses Machine Translation CIC.
- Rebecca Hwa, University of Pittsburgh.
- Herman Kamper, Stellenbosch University.
- Sanjeev Khudanpur, Johns Hopkins University.
- Philipp Koehn, Johns Hopkins University.
- Gaurav Kumar, Johns Hopkins University.
- Mirella Lapata, University of Edinburgh.
- Jimmy Lin, University of Waterloo.
- Karen Livescu, Totyota Technical Institute Chicago.
- Sebastian Maneth, University of Bremen.
- Nitin Madnani, Educational Testing Service.
- Christof Monz, University of Amsterdam.
- Matt Post, Johns Hopkins University.
- Philip Resnik, University of Maryland.
- Giorgio Satta, University of Padua.
- Nathan Schneider, Georgetown University.
- Bonnie Webber, University of Edinburgh.
- Jonathan Weese, Facebook.
- Dominikus Wetzel, University of Edinburgh.
I am conservative about who I add to this list. It includes coauthors and student collaborators. If your information is out of date, please get in touch.