Much have I learned from my teachers, more from my colleagues, but most from my students.
- Sameer Bansal, Low-resource speech translation. Co-advised with Sharon Goldwater.
- Naomi Saphra, Learning dynamics of neural models.
- Clara Vania, Deep learning and morphology.
PhD student coauthors
- Janie Sinclair, Dialogue and educational NLP. Primary advisor: Dragan Gašević. Co-advised with Chris Lucas.
- Kate McCurdy, Morphology in neural models. Co-advised with Sharon Goldwater.
- Katarzyna Pruś, Modeling morphology
- Michael Auli, PhD 2012. Now at Facebook AI Research.
Michael's thesis applied advanced machine learning techniques to a parser for combinatory categorial grammar, a linguistically expressive grammar formalism. It remained state-of-the-art for several years afer he developed it. After graduation Michael began working on neural translation, and is one of the key researchers behind Facebook's convolutional neural machine translation system.
- Federico Fancellu, PhD 2018. Primary advisor: Bonnie Webber. Now at Samsung AI Center.
Federico's thesis developed state-of-the-art models for computational detection of negation in English and Chinese. During his postdoc with Mirella Lapata, he collaborated with Sorcha Gilroy on semantic parsing.
- Sorcha Gilroy, PhD 2019. Now at peak.ai.
Sorcha's thesis surveys a range of mathematical tools for probabilistic generative models of graphs, and presents several new results. Among her many accomplishments as a PhD student, she won an outstanding paper award at NAACL 2018.
- Nikolay Bogoychev, PhD 2019. Now researcher at the University of Edinburgh.
Nikolay's thesis shows how careful thinking about memory accesses yields simple and very fast algorithms for machine translation on parallel hardware. He is continuing this work as a postdoc in the machine translation group at Edinburgh.
- Despoina Christou, MSc 2016. Now PhD student at Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
- Andreas Grivas, MSc 2017. Now research associate at University of Edinburgh.
- Yova Kementchedjhieva, MSc 2017. Now PhD student at University of Copenhagen.
- Junyi Li, MSc 2017.
- Moise Lubwimi, MInf 2018.
- Evangelia Lypiridi, MSc 2016.
- Lena Reisinger, MInf 2017.
- Adithya Renduchintala, PhD student at Johns Hopkins University. Adi amicably switched advisors after I moved to the University of Edinburgh, and is still at Johns Hopkins.
- Jason R. Smith, former PhD student at Johns Hopkins University. Now at Google.
- Ida Szubert, MSc 2016. Now PhD student at University of Edinburgh, advised by Mark Steedman.
- Ieva Vasiljeva, MSc 2017. Now at Improbable.
- Arthur Verkaik, MInf 2017.
- Justas Zemgulys, MInf 2018. Now at Amazon.
- Ramona Comanescu, BSc 2018. Now MPhil student in Cambridge.
- Iulia Banghea, BSc 2017.
- Chip Huyen, Visiting BSc student from Stanford University, summer 2016.
- Katarzyna Pruś, Visiting BSc student from University of Dundee, summer 2015. MPhil at University of Cambridge, now back in Edinburgh at the CDT in Data Science.
- Pijus Simonaitis, Visiting MSc student from École Normale Supérieure de Lyon, summer 2016. Now PhD student at Montpellier Laboratory of Computer Science, Robotics, and Microelectronics.
Collaborators past and present
- Antonios Anastasopoulos, University of Notre Dame.
- Abhishek Arun, Bing.
- Phil Blunsom, Deepmind / University of Oxford.
- Chris Callison-Burch, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jianpeng Cheng, Apple.
- David Chiang, University of Notre Dame.
- Frank Drewes, Umeå University.
- Chris Dyer, Deepmind / Carnegie Mellon University.
- Juri Ganitkevitch, Google.
- Sharon Goldwater, University of Edinburgh.
- Daniel Gildea, University of Rochester.
- Barry Haddow, University of Edinburgh.
- Hua He, University of Maryland.
- Hieu Hoang, Moses Machine Translation CIC.
- Rebecca Hwa, University of Pittsburgh.
- Herman Kamper, Stellenbosch University.
- Sanjeev Khudanpur, Johns Hopkins University.
- Philipp Koehn, Johns Hopkins University.
- Gaurav Kumar, Johns Hopkins University.
- Mirella Lapata, University of Edinburgh.
- Jimmy Lin, University of Waterloo.
- Karen Livescu, Totyota Technical Institute Chicago.
- Sebastian Maneth, University of Bremen.
- Nitin Madnani, Educational Testing Service.
- Christof Monz, University of Amsterdam.
- Matt Post, Johns Hopkins University.
- Philip Resnik, University of Maryland.
- Giorgio Satta, University of Padua.
- Nathan Schneider, Georgetown University.
- Bonnie Webber, University of Edinburgh.
- Jonathan Weese, Facebook.
- Dominikus Wetzel, University of Edinburgh.
I am conservative about who I add to this list. It includes advisees and collaborators. If your information is out of date, please get in touch.