The subject of the lecture was beyond my competence. After the first five minutes I was completely lost. At the end of the lecture an arcane dialogue took place between the speaker and some members of the audience—Ambrose and Singer if I remember correctly. There followed a period of tense silence. Professor Struik broke the ice. He raised his hand and said, ``Give us something to take home!’’ Calabi obliged, and in the next five minutes he explained in beautiful simple terms the gist of his lecture. Everybody filed out with a feeling of satisfaction.
Courses at the University of Edinburgh
- Autumn 2019 –: Doing Research in NLP, a seminar course for the CDT in NLP
- Spring 2019 –: Natural language understanding, generation, and machine translation
- Spring 2018: Natural language understanding
- Spring 2015, 16, & 17: Machine translation
- Autumn 2016: Informatics 2A: Processing formal and natural languages